Monday, May 11, 2015

Journal 2: Disconnected Revised


 
A month without a computer...


...sounds like it could be challenging, especially in this day and age. For the students at Charleston, it was exactly that.

At the beginning of the documentary, the students seemed annoyed that they couldn't use their computers for anything, I would be too, considering we have a hard time going day to day without having to log onto school resources. Some of the students had to choose between giving up the challenge or waiting until it was over to complete all of their assignments at once. 

During the first few days without computers, the students realized how bored they were and how they really didn't have anything to do. Instead, they decided to study more and go out and do more things. I think that this really shows how much time we dedicate ourselves to the online world.

When the students finally checked their emails, they had over hundreds of them.  I thought it was interesting to see how the students realized that most of the emails were boring and bored now that they had a computer again. I think it comes to show that even though we have to use computers from day to day, we don't necessarily need them to function.

When we did our own logging of how much we used electronics, I was kind of surprised how many times I checked my phone or opened and reopened apps over a day. On average, I was checking my phone over 100 times a day and I can't remember any of those times being significant.

I think it would be hard to reenact the experiment that the students tried in the documentary because nowadays our phones are our computers, and most of our social networks are on our phone, making them a lot easier to access. I give the students a lot of credit for being able to do it.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment